Motivational Interviewing Series (Web-based)
Comprehensive live web-based motivational interviewing training series.
Motivational Interviewing (MI) can be simply described as a collaborative conversation style for strengthening a person’s own motivation and commitment to change. Using MI, a professional strategically guides a conversation so the person hears themselves talk about possibilities and advantages of change. Research is clear that an effective MI conversation can improve targeted outcomes in multiple behavioral domains by helping people reduce ambivalence and hear their own thoughts about change.
This 14-hour (12 instructional hours) course is presented in four sessions. At the end of the course, participants will have a new skill can to help them partner with their consumers and their families in order to encourage change.
· Practice active listening.
· Understand Motivational Interviewing and the effectiveness of brief interventions.
· Identify and avoid roadblocks.
· Overview of the spirit, skills, process of MI.
· Learn to engage with clients using open questions and simple reflections.
· Craft genuine affirmations.
· Practice moving from engagement to focus.
· Identifying change talk and sustain talk.
· Responding to and reducing resistance.
· Guiding the client using evocative questions.